Saturday, November 5, 2011

Days that were.



Perfect circle shaped pancakes made with the equally perfect blend of eggs and batter almost completely immersed in dollops of maple syrup served with strawberries on the side or you can choose watermelons if you are me.

Sumptuous amount of scrambled egss. Well done sausages. Brown bread toast without butter with a choice of cheese. 

Warm baked rice cakes kind of things which is an inevitable meal if you are, by any luck, a South Indian. Served with Sambhar (can choose to swap it with spicy Idli powder) and a wide range of chutneys to choose from (recommended: mint, oninon-tomato, onion, tomato and not the coconut. I repeat, not the coconut!)

Long noodles mixed with one of these: corn, carrots, cheese or sausages. 

Double chocolate muffins strongly recommended to be had with fresh cold milk right out of the refrigerator. Also, if available, top the muffins with Hershey's chocolate syrup. 

Sunny side up. No, not the gooey one that leaks when you just about look at it for too long. This one comes completely cooked or you may refuse to eat it, once again, if you are me. These are cooked to perfection with lots and lots of freshly ground pepper. Served with or without brown bread toast, choice is yours. 

All the above mentioned items come with a choice of drink: Warm bitter-sweet coffee, cocktail juice, red orange juice, fresh cold milk and chocolate milk.
                  _______________________________________________

This, my friends, is the breakfast menu if you ever have the misfortune of staying at my place. And this, i miss the most about home. Regular good wholesome breakfast. Best thing about it? effortless on my part. Did not have to lift a glass. Served to the place where I had parked my ass. Home, where daddy and ma did things for you which you can't imagine doing for yourself.

Good dear home where I started to study at 11:00 p.m. and wrapped up by 6:00 a.m. Next spotted at the kitchen, caught pouring cold milk in a fat glass by Daddy who gave me a look that can only mean - WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY DAUGHTER?! Why would she be up all night studying? Goddamn, this school! Pressurizing kids so much! and why oh why is she having cold milk? but all he said was - 'You studied through the entire night?! Why, ma? Come on now put that thing in your hand away and let me make you some tea.'

Daddys, I tell you. They know so little about you especially when compared to the intuitive truckloads of details that your Ma knows about you.
I wanted to tell him, 'No, Daddy, I do not drink tea. I stealthily have cold milk almost every morning and honestly, I did not just study throughout the night.' But of course all I did say was, 'Thanks Daddy! No worries. I'm going to go sleep now. Good day at the office! Bye!' 
*runs quickly out of the kitchen and tucks herself under the blanket*

P.S. Breakfast in bed is a complete no-no! (psstt..not really!) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment